Using skills from Teach For America in medical school




By Patrick Pham (Dallas-Fort Worth '09)

The pictures above were taken from the classes that I taught in medical school - Anatomy - the most feared subject for first year medical students. I was nominated three times for the Best Student-Teacher award (and won by a landslide, of course). My lesson plans included key points, GP, and IP - just like back in my high school teaching days. The chair of the Anatomy department came to observe my class and how I taught. The students and faculty professors were so impressed by how well organized my classes were. 

My point is that TFA training really works. I can apply TFA teaching methods to when I taught high school, and even now as I teach medical students. One day, I will be able to train my residents and doctors the same way TFA teachers teach their students.

If you're interested in sharing your story with the TFA-LA alumni community here on Alumni Voices, contact Helen Hong, Associate of Alumni Leadership & Engagement.